At one point or another, we all have to deal with some type of stress. The important thing is to prevent it from taking over our daily life, and this can often be done by observing a few simple ways to keep emotions high and the blues at bay.
1. Pet your pet. For years, experts have agreed that pet owners may lead happier, healthier lives thanks to their four-legged friends. Gently stroking a cat or dog is believed to lower stress and increase happiness.
2. Take a hike. Studies have shown that walking at least 30 minutes each day may help to significantly ease stress. It doesn’t matter whether you walk outdoors or indoors using a treadmill; the important thing is to get up, get moving and get rid of your stress.
3. Common scents. Many people relax to their favorite scented candles, but few know that certain scents have a calming effect that may actually reduce stress. Lavender, vanilla and other fragrances that you may find especially soothing may be just the ticket to a stress-free day.
4. Just breathe. There’s an old saying that recommends taking a deep breath and counting to 10 to soothe anger. Well, the same is true with stress. Breathing in rhythm may improve positive emotions as it helps to promote activity in the area of the brain that’s responsible for good thoughts. Positive thinking can lead to happiness, which is one sure way to stop stress.
5. Treat yourself. Whether you’re feeling a little blue or just need a quick pick-me-up, take time to be good to yourself. Have a sip of your favorite beverage, indulge in a light snack to tempt your tastebuds or just take a break. When one errand runs into another and days seem to fly by so quickly that we barely even notice them, it may be time to get out of the rut and take a moment to enjoy life by treating yourself to something great.